Tuesday, March 18, 2014

On The Day You Were Born...

On the day you were born, much like every other day, your mother was being a touch stubborn. Your daddy and I had been visiting our friends, the Dudes and their newest addition, Baby Jackson, and on the drive home we discussed when we thought you would make your grand entrance. I assured your daddy that despite the next day being your due date, it would be at least a week before you arrived. I felt way too good... and we had just got a call saying that your Uncle Caleb and Aunt Ashlee were heading to the hospital to have your cousin Kamryn. Tomorrow would be her day. You'd be late because you were my child and we never do anything on time. 

Six hours later, I woke up from a dead sleep thinking that we really needed to buy a new mattress. This thing was getting ridiculous. My back was killing me. So, trying not to wake your daddy, I rolled my big ol' belly to the edge of the bed, swung my feet around until they dangled just above the floor and then rocked until I slid off to stand. I grabbed my pillow and tip-toed to the closet, the only part of our room that has carpet, and with great effort laid down in the floor. Turns out it wasn't the mattress. The floor hurt my back too - every four minutes it hurt my back... "These are contractions. Today is the day. You are having a baby," I told myself literally out loud in the closet and then the stubborn Raegan chirped in, "Cooper, today is NOT your day. Today is Kamryn's day. You just sit tight, do you hear me?" That really happened... and it really did not work. 

I continued to lay in the floor for a little over an hour until I couldn't stand it anymore... Did I wake your daddy up? Nope. I was still confident I could talk you into staying in there (See, I told you I was stubborn) so instead of waking up your daddy... a doctor... who probably would've been very helpful during this situation... I grabbed a bowl of grapes out of the fridge and turned on the shower. Eventually, the contractions started coming every three minutes or less, and I decided Daddy should join the party. I woke him up and told him he was going to become a Daddy today and he JUMPED out of bed! He was so excited... and then a little disappointed when I informed him I wasn't going anywhere until I showered, fixed my hair and put on my make up. We decided to call your Pops and Gabby since they had a 2.5 hour drive to make. I was in the shower, but I could hear every word your Daddy said to Pops, he told him not to rush, that I was having contractions, but that we wouldn't be heading to the hospital until I got out of the shower and ready. No need to start driving or alarm the troops (my ENTIRE family rolls out to welcome a new baby!) just yet, we just wanted to give them a little heads up. Before I even got out of the shower my phone started vibrating non-stop with text messages from Callie and Lyndsey! Needless to say, Pops was excited! Daddy called Grammy - who was already bringing your cousin Brooks to the hospital since he was getting a new baby sister (it ended up being very convenient that everybody could come visit one hospital and see two babies!) and Grandpa was tied up at the fire station but would be there as soon as he could sneak away.

Your Daddy finally got me in the car and we started the thirty minute drive through rush hour traffic to the hospital - no horror story here - Daddy was a good, safe driver! He drove quickly, but not crazy. We used his handy-dandy doctor's pass to park right next to the door and before getting out of the car, we stopped and your Daddy said the sweetest little prayer I've ever heard over our growing family. You've got a very good Daddy, Cooper...

They had us check in at out-patient triage where they would send us to a temporary room until they were sure we needed to stay. Before I even got my hospital gown on, Uncle Awesome came cruising in... He looked ner-vous! He was holding a Monster (per usual) and being very nice and quiet. Not two seconds later, I'm still not even in my gown, we hear "We're the grandparents!" Pops and Gabby made the 2.5 hour drive in record time! They almost beat us to the hospital!! 

Oh, and that out-patient triage room ended up being the place where you made your grand entrance - turns out there were no more rooms in labor and delivery. This made for some comic relief throughout the day because funny things kept happening. Examples: The ac didn't work and the fan wasn't tall enough so one nurse had to literally stand holding the fan on me like I was Cleopatra. The door to our room opened directly into the lobby so anytime anyone came in or out there I was laying there spread eagle and your sweet Pops was standing on the other side of the door, with tears running like Niagra Falls, trying to see in - awkward. I kept reaching up behind me to grab the bed during really hard contractions and once I accidentally grabbed the part that made the bed move up or down which meant that in the middle of a bad contraction I went from sitting straight up to slamming the entire bed back down flat - scared your Daddy to death! Being in triage, made your delivery much more eventful and we are thankful for the funny tidbits it added to your big day.

I could tell you the rest of the story, but I think the photos do a better job... You can watch the  video by Josh McCullock Photography by clicking here or you can simply scroll through the pictures below. 



Your Daddy couldn't have been a more perfect helper that day.




And the "welcoming committee" dropped everything, jumped in their cars and spent their day waiting for your arrival. You were blessed and loved by so many before they had even met you sweet boy...


I think this picture is perfect. Your "Pops" was too excited to sit down, but my "Daddy" was having a hard time hearing his little girl be in pain. It's quite the dilemma.





In out-patient there was no bar on the bed to hold onto so the wonderful nurses took turns playing tug-of-war with me using your receiving blanket as the rope.




My apologies to the nurse whose arm I had in the death grip. 
It was necessary at the time.
And not two seconds later, all the pain was worth it and our lives changed forever...










Your Daddy was smitten the very first second.









Pops and Gabby couldn't wait, they had to peek.





This, my sweet son, is what love looks like. 
It was instant and unconditional and overwhelming.







My Daddy hugging your Daddy...
A picture Mommy will cherish forever.


Grammy had her hands full - two grandbabies in one day!
It was a good thing we were all at the same hospital!




Gabby was so happy to meet you.
She introduced you to your great-grandparents: 
Coach, Gigi and Grandma Dorothy.





Your Uncle Awesome checked you out thoroughly.







Blake gave you kisses!


This is one of my favorite pictures of the day.
There are not many children in the world who have people literally lined up to meet them on the day they are born... Oh my sweet son, how blessed we are to call these people our family. These people will be there for you on your very best days and on your very worst days... They will multiply your joy and divide your sorrow. They will love you expecting nothing in return. Some day you will understand their love. It is rare. It is priceless. It is something to be forever thankful for. You are one blessed boy Little Prince.





My whole heart.

August 15th, 2013 was the very best day of my life. 
Thank you, sweet boy, for letting me be your mommy. 
You'll have my whole heart for my whole life.
I love you forever and a day.

All my love,
Mommy

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story....thank you for sharing your/his special day.
    Cooper is a blessed little boy to have such a precious mommie and daddy and
    a wonderful loving family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this, Raegan. I cried. :) You have a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's precious! I seriously cried. So sweet! How fun that he shares a birthday with his cousin!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. and I need a Kleenex or several!! such a sweet post!! those pictures are amazing and breathtaking! I so wish I had these with my boys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you don't know me, but I went to High School with Brandon, hope you don't think I am a creeper!! Anyways, have you ever read the book, "On the Night You Were Born" by Nancy Tillman? Your title reminded me of it. It is a short board book and a BEAUTIFUL story. I read it to my daughters all the time and it makes me cry every time! Your story was very sweet, it reminded me of when my oldest daughter was born (her bday is August 16th), we filled the waiting room up and then some. The nurses kept coming in the room and telling me how many people were there and they couldn't believe it. I just told them my daughter was very loved! I also loved that Valerie made it in the pictures, she's a high school friend too. Cooper is precious!!

    ReplyDelete